On October 7, 1998, Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin opened at Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom.
In this attraction, you enter the world of Buzz Lightyear from Toy Story. By aiming your laser at targets throughout the ride, you are helping Buzz battle the Evil Emperor Zurg for control of the universe.
What’s the Spin?
Each car is equipped with a joystick that allows the riders to turn the car back and forth to hit targets on both sides of the track.
History of the Building
Prior to Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin, the building held several other attractions in Walt Disney World history. It was originally home to If You Had Wings – an aviation themed ride sponsored by Eastern Airlines. When Eastern pulled out of the sponsorship in 1987, the ride was re-themed and called If You Could Fly, which closed in 1989. Six months later, the ride reopened as Delta Dreamflight, sponsored by Delta Airlines. When Delta dropped their sponsorship, it was named simply Dreamflight for about six months then renamed again, to Take Flight. Take Flight closed in January 1998 to make way for Buzz Lightyear.
Go for the High Score!
Two people per car can compete to earn points and determine their skill with a final point ranking:
- Level 1: Star Cadet 0-1,000 points
- Level 2: Space Ace 1,001-10,000 points
- Level 3: Planetary Pilot 10,001-100,000 points
- Level 4: Space Scout 100,001-300,000 points
- Level 5: Ranger 1st Class 300,001-600,000 points
- Level 6: Cosmic Commando 600,001-999,998 points
- Level 7: Galactic Hero 999,999 points
Our top three high score tips:
- Check your laser aim. Before the ride starts, take a moment to test your laser and see if your aim matches where the laser hits. You may have to adjust a bit to hit the spot you are aiming for.
- Know the high point targets. The left hand of the red robot, the center of The Claw, and the target at the bottom of Emperor Zurg’s spaceship are worth 100,000 points each!
- Control the joystick. Stay in control of your car to put your self in the best position to hit the targets.
Have you rode Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin? What is your highest score? Let us know in the comments.